Deliverable Week 12.



Hot and Cool Media 

Hot and cool media is the levels at which you have to participate. Cool media requires you to be more active while hot media has more sensory data and immerses you into the media. For my experiment I had a group of my friends and i go to the Avengers: Infinity War. I asked them what they thought about the movie as far as is it hot or cool media. They all agreed that it was hot media. I then asked them all to read any comic from this website http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Avengers-1963. I asked what they thought of the comic after just watching the movie. Three of them thought it was super awesome and two of them thought the movie was 100 times better. When asked if they thought this was cool or hot media they all agreed it was cool media. I went farther and asked what they proffered. They mostly agreed that putting more effort into it was more rewarding but that they proffer hot media because its less time consuming. 
(photo is after at a bar we went to) 

Infinite Canvas

From what I gather on Scott McCloud's own website he believes you do not need to switch pages when reading. Specifically, for comics but I find people apply this in other places as well. You would simply scroll down. No buttons needed for this configuration. If you notice while on his page he applies this to his own website http://scottmccloud.com/4-inventions/canvas/index.html, very clever. I decided to see what successful websites might also apply this. I found that Facebook and Instagram were using this method. It is seemingly working very well for them. I was shocked to find out the amazon kindle app did not use this method. After reading my book for a while I started to wonder what it would be like. I quickly decided that it would be tiresome not changing a page. I enjoy that it is more like a page then one continuous article 


Multi-Touch Gestures 

This is exactly as it sounds. It’s the different gestures that we use with our fingers regarding a touch screen. The come in handy when looking and working with photos and when playing a game. For Instagram you double tap to like a photo and tap once to see who is tagged. If you would like to see the photo larger you old down your finger on the photo then pinch out to zoom. You only need one finger to scroll up or down. You do this by moving your finger from the bottom to top or vice versa for the opposite effect. Now as far as games go I decided to pick a game that uses a lot of finger movement. Temple run is a great example of multi-touch gestures. I have attached the intro video to show you all the different gestures to use when playing this addictive game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXZgOL2rr0o


Page Fold 

This mostly applies to new websites. You have this imaginary line or fold that in real life would be where your newspaper folded. In the top area you need to engage people and get their interest to convince them to "unfold" and continue on through the website or to scroll down. Here is an example. 

personally do not like going on news websites I found most of it to be crap. There all written the same and nothing creative about the first fold.  Now I decided to put on the website in front of my boyfriend Cody. I asked him to read the page and see if he scrolled down or if he asked if he could leave. He did indeed scroll down so it seems that it's working for MLB.com  



Poka-Yoka Principle 
This is where something is designed so you can no execute it the wrong way. They used American three prong plug verses European two prong. As an example. I decided to go around my house and fine three things that are designed with this in mind. I found a paper roll holder, my cameras ad inserts, and my vase with lid. I then asked both my mother and my niece to try all of these things and they managed to execute them all perfectly.  
                 




                          





Reading Distance 

Bed, Knee and Breakfast are the distances at witch people mostly read. Also known as close to face, medium distance and far from face. I decided to see what three of my family members think their proffered reading distance is verses what their actual reading distance is.  
Martin (dad 56); I would say that I read far from my face. 
Carol (mom 52); I read at a medium distance maybe slightly bent arms pace from my face? 
Dale (uncle 63): close to my face I'm blind. 
Katie (best friend 25); Bed distance I read a lot but not big print.  
I decided to capture them reading throughout the week and this is what I found. 
Martin Needs glasses and so I found that he kept things close to his face and not at a breakfast distance. 
 
Carol Was correct she keeps her book at a medium distance and for the most part she seemed to do this for other things like menus as well.  
 
Dale isn't as blind as he thinks I found he actually keeps more of a breakfast distance when reading htext messages and other things off of his phone.  
 
Katie Was correct she does keep a medium distance and would not let me snap photos of her (hates her pic being taken) so this photo makes it look like she is looking closely at it but its more knee length away.  



 

Signals and Cues 

 For this I decided to see how many signals and Cues I came across on daily basis. I managed only a few and day to day noticed many more. First day I only managed to notice about 10 but day two I found there to be more then 20 and of course this went on. I only managed to photograph a few of the big ones the more obvious ones if you will/ I had the push to start button on my car, click of m pen do indicate that it was clicked. I also found my speaker dings to let me know its blue tooth is connected. The microwave beeps to let me know my food is finished. The position of the lock to visually show my I locked the door. These are of course just a few of the many. How many do you encounter daily? 

                  



Site Map 

 A site map is similar to a map you may find when going to an amusement park. They look very different but the understanding is the same. The more complex the more you may need a notion or legend. I decided to see if I could find a simple site map and a complex site map.  As you'll see I found a fairly simple map and a more complex. I asked my coworker Morgan what she thought if she were to judge the site based on these. She liked that the one was color coded even though it was simple. She however preferred the other because it seemed like she had more options. She I'd say that she wished it was more color coded or laid out more interesting. I personally disagreed and proffered the way it looks but would also hose the home depot website map.  
                                                         


Touch Target  

 This is a target in relation to finger size. If you make a button to small will it become frustrating for the user? If it is to big does it draw people away? I decided to test this with Instagram. This app has both big and small buttons. I force myself to only click on the heart to like and the comment button to comment. I often found I would accidently click the wrong one. Of course, this would result in me getting frustrated. I asked my niece if she felt the same way (yes, I have a seven-year-old niece who has an Instagram odd I know) and she said she had no issues with it at all and that she proffers to comment and like through those buttons. When asked why she said that this was because the others are bigger and she just proffers the other way 



Wearable Computing 

 This is when clothing and technology come together. Glasses that change with the lighting, Dry fit clothing where the water rolls right off, Nintendo's power glove. I decided to see what was out there and buy one for myself. I found that there is this awesome t-shirt that changes with music. You can ether hook your phone or music device up to it or you can let it interacts with the sound going on around you. https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/led-t-shirts-glow-pure-cotton-led-casual-2-aaa-batteries_p6587518.html?prm=1.3.5.2


Here is a YouTube video of the shirt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IAIXaDKHMI

I also got my brother some shoes that do similar stuff. He loves them and so do his two kids. He wears them when he dj's and he says that it really gives him more of an edge and people remember him better because of this.  

















































Comments